"...from Blue Tits to Buzzards..."
In 2005 a survey of breeding birds was undertaken on the farm by Peter Floyd-Spong BSc Hons which was funded by Natural England under their Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund. Using the following criteria, the number and status of breeding birds on the farm was established.
- Where birds are seen using the habitat;
- Singing males are heard during the breeding season;
- Where a pair is observed in a suitable nesting habitat.
- Permanent territory presumed through various territorial behavioural
patterns, song or aggression;
- Courtship and display;
- The pair observed visiting a possible nesting site;
- Agitated behaviour or anxiety calls by the adult birds;
- Actual nest building or excavation of a nest hole.
- Distraction display;
- Used nest or eggshells present; Recently fledged young;
- Adults seen entering or leaving nest site;
- Adults carrying food for the young;
- Nest with eggs;
- Nest where young birds are seen or heard.
please click on any of the names above to find find our more information about each species
courtesy of The RSPB